It's january , the " galette de rois" season . It is also called kings cake a classic french cake made specially for the "Épiphany" to make people feel like kings even for a day . Now let's put all the historical background aside and start making one ...
( for a 6 persons galette)
- 2 x 300 gr of puff pastry ( you can buy it or if you prefer making your own here is a simple and quick recipe for you here.
- 1 egg
- 50 gr almond flour
- 50 gr hazelnuts flour
- 15 gr flour
- 50 sugar
- 50 gr soft butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk + coffee sirop ( or a simple sugar sirop ) for the egg wash .
- And of course a fève ( traditionally a smal ceramic statut that is hidden in the cake and the person who finds it will be crowned and if you don't have one you can use a small square of chocolate like i did .
- First , mix the butter and sugar until it becomes creamy then add in the vanilla extract.
- Now wisk in the egg .
- Then add in the dry ingredients and mix it until having a paste like consistency .
- Prepare your puff pastry and cut it into 2 x 15 cm diameter circles.
- Place the filling in the center and leave at least 2 cm around the edges , brush it with some egg wash to stick the two piece of doughs together .
- Put the fève and close the galette with the second dough and press it gently on the edges .
- Finally , brush the egg wash on top and decorate it with a sharp knife .
And voilà ...
A full time sweet tooth foodie , foodphotographer and recipe developer who is always on the hunt of new flavor combinations and food discoveries to re-create sweet delicacies and fresh dessert recipes .